Thursday 9 August 2012

Time to win the battle against eczema

I've had eczema since I was a child. I've lived with it all my life but at the age of 34 (soon to be 35!) I've finally had enough.

If you have eczema then maybe you are familiar with the looks people can give you? Ever put your hand out for change in a shop and they've taken one look and put it on the counter instead?

I even had a woman give me my change and then wipe her hand on her clothes whilst saying eugh.

As you may have sussed out by now, my eczema is mainly hand eczema. I also have it around my mouth which makes me look like I've either had an accident with a glass of Ribena or had a serious snogging session with a bearded man!

Anyway, what have I decided to do?

I've seen a dietitian called Kristian Bravin who I believe is a top dietitian in England. Well this is what I was told by the Doctor that referred me to him. On meeting him I must say that he was very pleasant, funny and very very patient and understanding.

So after a lengthy chat and a whinge on my part we've decided to embark on the Elimination Diet (otherwise known as the Exclusion Diet).

Rice milk
Lamb or turkey (I've opted for Turkey)
Rice (cakes, krispies)
Potatoes
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Apples
Pears
Green grapes
Water
7 - up(not diet)
Sugar
Golden Syrup
Gluten free baking powder
Sunflower oil
Dairy free butter
Plain potato crisps

THAT'S IT for 21 days. Then every 2 days a new ingredient


On 13th August (next Monday) I shall begin. I'm leaving it until then as its my birthday tomorrow and I want to enjoy myself. I doubt I would find a restaurant just serving rice and broccoli!

I plan on documenting the whole thing on here for my own benefit and anyone else who is dealing with eczema. I will post recipe ideas as I go along and tips about coping with eczema.

I shall share pictures of my skin as we go along in the hope we shall see an improvement.

I must stress....I am NOT a doctor and what I say on this blog is my own personal experience. Do NOT embark on the Elimination diet without the guidance of someone in the medical profession.

Tomorrows post will be photos and more details about what I shall be eating from Monday onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment